The Department of Social Work was established on August 15, 1947, our Independence Day. Realizing the need of devoted and competent social welfare manpower after the country had got independence in order to build a socio-economically self reliant nation, the then Governing Council of the Kashi Vidyapith decided to establish the Institute of Social Sciences, which was later on renamed as the School of Social Work. The School was the second in the row (only after Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work established in Bombay in 1936) to provide professional social work training to graduate students. However, this department has been the first institution to have started P.G. level course (MSW) in social work. For the first two decades (1947-67), the stewardship of the department remained with the late Padma Bibhushan Prof. Raja Ram Shastri, who later became the Vice-Chancellor of the University. The learned Professor contributed to the national as well as international prestige of the department. Prof. C.P. Goyal has been the HOD for the longest period (during 1968 to 1970 and 1972 to 1993). During his regime, the department started certain new courses. In 1979, the university created the Faculty of Social Work and the department, since then, is functioning under the same faculty.