History

The Department of English and Other Foreign Languages came into existence in the very first decade of the founding of this great university in 1921 by Rashtra Ratna Babu Shiv Prasad Gupta under the visionary inspiration of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.

Ours has been an institution of historic importance with immense contribution to the freedom struggle, having its primary objective of English teaching not to cater to the colonial interest but to produce worthy, well-informed and responsible citizens.

Post-Graduate teaching in English started in 1964, and ever since the department has been serving the academic interest of a large number of students coming from semi-urban and rural areas of Purvanchal region of Uttar Pradesh, and of the neighboring states, Bihar, and Madhya Pradesh.

The founder Head of Department was Prof. Ram Awadh Dwivedi; he was succeeded by eminent Prof. Vikramaditya Rai. Retired professors from BHU like Prof. C.N. Menon, Prof. B.L. Sahni, Prof. G.D. Shastri, Prof. K.P. Mukherjee were members of the faculty.

Subsequently the department was headed by Prof. Ramji Nagar, Prof. C.B. Kapoor, Prof. R.P. Singh, Prof. Suman Kumar, Prof. Aziz Haider, Prof. Prabhat Kumar Singh, and Prof. Randhir Pratap Singh, all academics of repute.

Prof. Ram Kumar Tripathi and Prof. Rameshwar Prasad Singh of the department also served the University as Vice-Chancellor and acting Vice-Chancellor, respectively.

Presently, Prof. Uma Rani Tripathi, the Dean, Faculty of Humanities is the head of department.

Dr. Nalini Shyam Kamil has been made the coordinator of the department for its smooth and proper functioning.